The Time Has Come

This is it, the last blog for the semester in my literature class. Wow has the time gone fast and even being almost end of the semester I have yet to meet the requirements for the English department at my university. Yikes, what have I been doing...Well since this will be my last blog for my class let's end with a bang. This blog will not be for everyone as everything that will be said here is based on my sole opinion. Also the amount of words that will be on this blog might turn a couple of heads away(you have been warned). With that being said, sit back, relax and get ready to explore my views.


Image result for flappy bird
F this game
What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone says technology? Phones, that is what comes up. We are so attached to them is as if they were glued to our hands. Sounds like an exaggeration but truth is we cannot go a day without our phones (maybe a week or two, I have tried and I find it difficult to do so). There are some people who are barely on their phones. All they use it for is to make calls and that is pretty much it. You do not see them watch videos or play games on their phones (remember when flappy bird was a thing?). We could still live without our phones it will just be really difficult.


Image result for gps chip implant
Now you won't have to cry if he ever
escapes
Now you may be asking yourself "what is he talking about? Why is he even talking about this? I was going to review this blog but it turned out to be complete sh..." Well the reason I am talking about this is how much we relate to M. T. Anderson's book Feed. The story takes place many years from now and it is all futuristic and cool, you'll love it or maybe you won't. Anyway, Titus, the protagonist, and his friends have this cool computer chip implanted in their head. Sounds like some f'd up thing if you ask me, but is it really. If it were messed up, we would not do it to our kids (I am not a father, or so I hope I am not).  

We implant GPS chips to track people and animals, same as what is going on in Feed. Going back to the computer chip, this chip is a smartphone and now they have it literally stuck with them. You may think if we could have phones in our head, then what else can we have? Immortality? Umm yeah no, infections are still around and since you are practically a machine (cyborg) you can get hacked. How great does that sound, minding your own business when suddenly BAM! You have been hacked, all of your important content that once was available is now gone. Damn that sounds like a crappy world to live in (I am getting way off topic). 

Image result for pulp fiction meme englishOk going back to my comparison, at the beginning of the book, Titus and his friends have been hacked and are taken to the hospital. They remove the chip, which is called FeedNet, from them and they have no idea what to do. Compare them to a new born baby. All they know to do is shit and sleep, well that is how they are. "She opened it and pulled out something, which was a pen. She also had paper. I looked at her funny. 'You write?' I said. 'With a pen?'" (Anderson, 65). They do not know how to read or write and are barely able to talk. Almost like us when we are without our phones.  

Yes we can read, write, and talk but what can we really do without our phones? It is pretty hard to think life not just without phones but without technology. Now can we live in a society without phones? No. Not everyone will agree with this and they will start making riots if it comes to this but do not worry, we have Kendall Jenner, she makes riots come to peace. 

Image result for old spice commercial gifSince we are talking about commercials, why not stick with that for a little? What are one of the commercials that have caught your interest? Mine are the Old Spice commercials, those are weird but yet really funny. Also the superbowl commercials get really out of hand. Some of them don't even make to TV since they are "too" controversial. You may be saying to yourself "How can commercials cause a controversy? They are just small clips that have little mean to them". Just take the Pepsi ad for an example. It was created as a support for equality and to abolish discrimination. This whole ad was to support the women's march, black lives matter, and the people who protested outside trump building. Now once you see the video, did you get that message? Was your reaction like "Wow this is deep"? I bet it wasn't, you know why? Because it had nothing to do with. Yes you see the camera focusing on different races but their main focus was on Kendall.  
Image result for pepsi vs coke
Things got real..

Ok, she takes off her wig and her makeup sending a message to everyone (everyone is beautiful the way they are, that is the message if you didn't figure it out). I give pepsi props for that but what really grinds my gear is the last scene. Ohhh boy did that make me laugh. They had the audacity to end their commercial by Kendall giving a pepsi can to a police officer and they all lived a happy live after that. What were they thinking?! They probably thought about this idea and were like "This is going to be legen..wait for it..dary". So you are telling me, if a police officer comes up to me and tries to arrest me or has a gun pointed at me(I am not resisting), just give him pepsi and everything will be fine. What if I don't have pepsi, what if I had coke instead? Will he shoot me for not having pepsi? That's just a company promoting its product though. It is what it is though. They made protests look cool, a thing for the youngings to do. I mean why not, right? That is what we have been seeing all year long. Protests, protests, and more protests 

Image result for instagram likes memeI do support some protests and they want their voices to heard. I am totally cool with that but there are some people who protest over dumb shit. I feel like they just do it for attention. Just like some people on instagram. They post pictures of themselves showing skin to get more likes or followers, they want to get instafamous (follow me on the gram @luisz...I'm a hypocrite). Now, about the protests being popular cause TV made it look cool, this can also be found in Anderson's book.   

Lesions. Those are fire!! Like damn bro you know how hot that looks? Ok let me stop there as I am feeling a little nauseous just by thinking of it (I also googled images, please for your own sake, do not look it up). Well yeah lesions are pretty gross and well none of us wish we would ever get one (knock on wood). In Feed that is a different story. Everyone seems to have one. Different shapes and in different areas of the body. Some like the way it looks, others hate it until a show called, Oh? Wow! Thing!, made it cool. Just like the pepsi commercial made protests look cool, Oh? Wow! Thing! made lesions look dope. "Oh? Wow! Thing! had started to get lesions, so now people were thinking better about lesions, and lesions even looked kind of cool." (Anderson, 96). So hey kids, if you want something to look cool, have a famous person model it and I guarantee you it will become the top trending thing.  
Image result for kanye west quotes funny
It is amazing what famous people can do, how much they influence our society. And it is even crazier that people follow their guidelines. Some people even praised them, like gtfoh. They are not Gods, they are normal human beings just like us. Take Kanye West (or Yeezus) for an example. No I am not dissing him ( that is Drake's job), I like his music but his clothing line not so much. Some of his clothing are pretty cool and some of it are just like "Wait what?" Here I'll show you. Not trying to be offensive but it looks like Kanye stole the clothes off a homeless person (poor guy). And guess what? People buy these!!!! You know why? Because they praise him. They think of him as a God which is stupid if you ask me. 

Image result for yeezy 350 moonrock
They are nice, but are they worth $1700?
Just so people don't think I hate Kanye, let's look at another thing...shoes. I love them I'm not going to lie, I own like 30 pairs and only wear like 5 of them. Nike shoes are the most popular ones, the Air Jordan to be exact. What  makes these shoes so popular? Well it is not like the shoe line is based on the G.O.A.T. himself (Michael Jordan). It just takes a famous person to make anything look cool. Just look at celebrities shoe line. Drake with his OVOs, Kanye with his Yeezy, and they all resale for crazy high prices. Just how much you ask? Well my cousin bought a pair of Yeezy Boost 350 Moonrock for a low price of $1700. That is cheap bro, anyone can afford them. Well you get my point. Celebrities are the way to go if you ever want to promote your product.  

Well this is it, my last blog for the semester. If you made it this far then thanks for reading this and also thanks for bearing with me. Not going to lie had fun writing these blogs and who knows, I might write blogs in the future (or not). I could keep on writing about pointless stuff but I'll just end it here with a bang. 
T
Luis Z Word Count: 1713
Source:  Anderson, M. T. Feed. London: Walker, 2013. Print.

Popular posts from this blog

Is a Utopian Society Possible?

Twin Oaks is it a Utopia or Sham???

God killed a Utopia?! Can a Utopia happen with everyone on Earth?